Saturday, May 14, 2011

Portrait of Peace

Bald Rock National Park  12042009 954


Lightning bounced its bolt across the shifty, scudded sky,
Thunder's muffled bass beat drummed its echo in the air;
Wild wind whistled by with wanton fury in his eye,
People huddled in their homes and mumbled worried prayer.

Out by the water, in the cleft of a boulder,
sheltered cozily, birds in a nest, unafraid
of the storm, were singing in harmony.

With all the atrocities perpetrated by hate-filled men on fellow creatures of the human race; with all the wars, unrest, anger, misunderstandings, desperation, deceit, greed, selfishness, lust, and wickedness, is peace a possibility or just an intangible illusion?  What is peace, anyway, and can we achieve it on a personal level, in our hearts and homes?

To me, peace is a quiet confidence that all will ultimately be well, that Someone with ability, in authority, cares enough about me to guard what is in my best interest and well being.  It is a rest from struggle, strife, and fear because of trust.

Do I always live in peace?  No.  Why?  Well, because I tend to worry about what I'm unable to fix, because I worry about what I'm afraid could be cause and effect consequence to those I love, because of failure to carry through my responsibility or trying to carry responsibility that doesn't belong to me, because of weariness and frustration......but most of all neglecting awareness of my awesome Prince of Peace.

If you are a church person, you've probably heard the illustration of the artists asked to paint a picture portraying peace.  One supposedly painted a serene, pastoral scene; another, maybe a sleeping baby (can't remember!:)  Anyhow, the winner reportedly painted an approaching storm and the scene I tried to capture with words.  Not an original idea, but a reminder that peace is NOT the absence of conflict, but a song of praise in the midst of it.  God is aware of you and all that surrounds you; may you sense His nearness and peace today.  You are loved; you are understood; you are always in His view:)












2 comments:

  1. Thanks Malena,...I am in the midst of a storm for the last few days. I get terrible migraine headaches and I vomit when I get them, and I feel so terrible and weak.

    You have reminded me that the Lord is here with me during this storm of sickness. (I have had these for 35 years...but they seem to be more frequent now.) I have many allergies and they continue to get worse also, and the allergy headaches trigger the migraines....so it is a thorn in the flesh I have to bear.

    I can't take drugs for them, as I have a rapid irregular heartbeat and other health issues, so I just have to sleep them off...and /or endure them until they pass. This is the third day. Please pray for me, and for this headache and vomiting to end.

    You have encouraged me today. Thank you so much.

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbitrs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this one too. Very soothing and peaceful to read as well. Quieted my spirit as I read it. I am sure others will feel the same. Thanks for sharing. s.s.

    ReplyDelete