Monday, May 30, 2011

HOLD ME

Lovers embracing on the beach at sundown / sunset on Morro Strand State Beach 10 Jan 2010


Somewhere between earth and heaven,
I find a hide-away haven
when I'm held gently in your arms.

My ship sailed into safe harbor,
frayed and battered like a warrior.
Seasick, depleted, it needed

 only to be anchored, restored,
resting on shore before casting
off once more in murky water.

Time and tensions cease for awhile.
Inside peace embrace, I can face
stormy gales, sharks and whales--and smile!



Ah, the comfort of being cradled in arms of love!  Contented babies know the assurance of being cared for and enjoyed, not resented or ignored.  Touch is a primary need we never really outgrow.  I still remember my Mama's gentle hand on my hurting tummy, my daddy's strong embrace.  Being held by a friend who understands or a covenant life partner nourishes something inside us as needy as food to our physical bodies. 

Some so long for touch that they sell their morality for it.  I cry for young girls who offer their virginity in exchange for what they think is love, giving something so valuable for cheap, temporary imitations.  Nursing homes are filled with precious residents who languish with longing for a loving hug.  Even macho guys need embracing.  Tho' I can't recall who wrote it, I remember an article in an old Reader's Digest by some grown guy, going through a rough time, who made a trip home specifically for the comfort of being "tucked in" once more by his mother.  And what man doesn't benefit from a memory of his dad's arm thrown about his shoulders in approval and camaraderie?
Perhaps you could use a hug today.  Just a reminder that "underneath you are the everlasting arms."  God's arms are strong and mighty, but also tender and understanding.  They never tire, and He loves to hold you closely.  He won't go grab you or smother you with unwanted nearness, but His arms are always open to you.  Remember the illustration of the little guy afraid of the storm, told to go back to bed, that God was with him?  "I know," he said, "but I need someone with skin on!"   :)   Well, that's why Jesus came, of course, to show us God in human flesh.  He's not visible, but He's real.  Close your eyes and sense His embrace right now.  And if "someone (safe) with skin on" isn't available or willing to hold you, maybe you can think of someone else who could use a hug from you! :)  I know it works both ways; but if we decide to get our happiness from giving love rather than waiting till we receive it, chances are we'll know a lot more happiness!  Happy hugging!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment