Saturday, April 2, 2011

Inexperienced Driver

Image credit Robert Couse-Baker on Flickr
     Remember the first time you drove?  The shivery, quivery sensation, delicious anticipation? Well, in a sense, that's what I'm feeling.  Here I am, driving an unfamiliar "rental" vehicle, not knowing where the gadgets are, along an unfamiliar highway!  In fact, it almost seems as if I'm in another country; I don't even know the language of some of the signs!

     Still, I'm excited about the prospect of the trip!  My confident, firstborn daughter (mom extraordinare to my four adorables) actually started the car and handed me the keys! (Ironic, huh?!)  What if I get a ticket for going too fast, get honked at from behind for going to slow, forget to check before changing lanes?  What if I incite road rage, or get run over for boredom?  What if I crash?  (Call my husband?)  Ah, well, I will at least have given it a spin.  Think I'll risk it!

     Want to come along?  Or follow from a safe distance?  Could be an interesting journey.  I'm all for adventure, too; I've logged enough miles in my time to appreciate the varied, panoramic beauty, haunting sights and smells, historic landmarks, of both the thoroughfare and back roads. (Ask my son about the time we ventured off the tourist path in Spain)! Or ask my middle daughter about my being directionally challenged!   Not sure just where I'll begin or end up; but some scene could capture your interest, recall previous nostalgic trip, or give you a view from a different angle. I want it to be memorable, after all.

   Writing has always been my friend and confidante.  I discovered poetry in a college class a few years ago, and it was love at first write!  I confess that some famous poets write dribble whose meaning escapes me; others I enjoy for the sheer imagery and magic of their word designs, but I see little meaning in it.  My own both thrills and dismays me.  Since I cannot seem to let it go, I propose to share it with you.  For a collection of family and many favored friends, I published a collection, Impressions,  in Nov of 2009.  From that, I will choose excerpts to share as part of a devotional--or perhaps share a story of what inspired it.

      I am unashamedly a Christian, but I like to call my collection "Selah Poetry--for Saint and Sinner"--because it's to "pause and think about that", and it relates to both.  Sometimes, we need to feel that at least one other person understands what we're feeling, or why.  If we've lost our way, we need someone to point the way.  Other times, we just need to smile or laugh.  Hope I can do some of that for some of you.

     No need to make it a silent excursion; I like respectful dialogue.:)  Keep me company.  Who knows what we might see together?!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad to see you posting here, and looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D., I'm glad to see you've decided to start blogging. I, for one, am looking forward to reading your "stuff." Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I will be very interested in your writings!!! Yes, we have definitely logged enough miles, haven't we, Cousin? We have intertwined in each other's lives for quite a few years, too! You have always been a sweet, gentle person. I will enjoy this thoroughly! Love you, Diane

    ReplyDelete