Tuesday, April 12, 2011

EXALTATION/EXULTATION (In Adoration)

Image credit camaramanron on Flickr
I exalt You, Wonderful Lord...

Above my feelings and frustrations, pride and passions.
  Beyond anxious thoughts, self-awareness, aspirations;
    past failures, future fears, disappointments, present tears.
      Higher than human reasoning and understanding,
         more than tightly held offense, "justified" right to strife;
           I relinquish lofty claims for Your will in my life.

For You are Magnificent, Merciful, Mighty, True!
  All of my life, deep in my spirit, I've longed for You.
You are totally Trustworthy, Just, and Glorious!
  Made clean thru' Your blood, I now want nothing between us.
I offer my whole person without reservation,
  a channel for You to flow thru', Your habitation.

I want to stay up all night and dance with delight in
     joyful abandonment!
I want to sit still in awe, gaze into Your face in
     holy, hushed contentment!
For I was made for Your pleasure; oh, how I treasure
     intimacy with You!


I catch my breath, beholding the beauty You designed,
   creating from chaos the splendor You had in mind.
Unfolding rainbow hues of a melting, molten sun,
   trickling snow waterfalls, cascading down a mountain.
Clear soul clutter, shine in me till I yet reflect You:
   mirror Your light, life, and image, not just a mirage.

Humbling, amazing, reassuring, liberating
     is Your love for me!
My heart thrills and trills, sings and seems to burst with love
     at Your sensitivity!
You know me like no other; I long to discover
     more and more about You!


I exult in You, O my Love!



Sunday will be Palm Sunday, a time for remembering Christ's triumphal entry on the back of a colt that had never been broken.  An humble animal, not a magnificent steed.  Yet on that day, cheers, like "Hosanna!", "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!" rang out--cries from a crowd that would soon cry out, "Crucify him!"  Still, He fulfilled prophetic Scripture and received their praise.

We're fickle too, sometimes, aren't we?  Oh, never, ever would we say "Crucify Him", but we sometimes pledge our devotion only to ignore Him and any claims He would make--which He asks only for our own good, that of others, and His glory--what we would choose if we knew the whole story.

The Sunday I first jotted these words was one of those awesome times, following a great pastoral message and communion time when I felt as if I were in the very "holy of  holies".  First, in silent adoration, then praise exhilaration, I worshiped.  Recognizing my unworthiness, yet fully aware of His unconditional love and incomprehensible acceptance of me, I gave back all the love I could  express.  I grabbed a pencil to hastily scribble some of the words that tumbled out.  When they weren't enough, my love language to Him poured from my inner being.  This isn't the original; it's been added to and altered.  But I hope you can feel as cherished and complete, as thrilled with His Magnificence as I when I first wrote it.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment