Monday, April 4, 2011

Butter Comfort

Image credit Veganbaking.net on Flickr
Have you ever wished just one person in the world understood what you were feeling and cared? Does it repel your soul for someone to brush off your pain, heartache, or serious situation with some glib quote, a plastic band-aid for a deep wound? Or maybe you've wished you could comfort someone but felt awkward and so did nothing.

Pantry answers, even "superspiritual" ones are not a one-size fits all fix--when superficiality or superiority melts through. Solutions often seem simpler to those not needing the answer. A genuine expression of concern and gentle hug digests much better than artificial "word spread." (No criticism toward anyone who So Wonderfully reached out to me when my sweet Mama moved to heaven. Anyway, she would be the first to credit anyone with good intentions. "They meant well, Babe!)

However, I've known some whose loss, tragedy, or trial felt all the more painful because of some unthinking or critical comment from someone else who had little inkling of the entire story--merely a phrase or two. Love is sometimes best shown "not in word (alone) but "in deed and truth".


BUTTER COMFORT


Do not pass me a pat answer
to butter my bread of sorrow
Whys and wherefores, thus and therefores,
"It will be better tomorrow."

How do you know?

Unlike the true taste of caring,
oleo quotes, fake-faith cliches,
glide on smoothly, leave an oily,
heartburn film of fat Pharisee!

Say what you feel
or
know to be real
or
nothing at all--

Just give me a hug!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how well I know this one! Yes, it is sometimes difficult to express one's thoughts-so agree, a simple hug is better IF you have never felt the actual pain! I do hope that I have not said too much on this subject to you. It is something that I, unfortunately, know how much your heart feels broken after such a loss of one's Dear Mother & Best friend. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often told Don, "I don't really want you to give me a solution; I just want you to listen!" Ever feel that way?

    ReplyDelete