Friday, July 8, 2011

A GRANDMA'S REWARD

As I nuzzled the scented down of your soft forehead
under my chin, skin to skin, baby breath on my neck,
I cuddled the light bundle of you close to my breast,
your heartbeat and mine keeping time as I pat your back,
 and felt the heaviness in my chest lighten, too.

My cares slipped into momentary rest
as I hummed the songs we loved best
and tasted the sweet caress
of acceptance and trust anew.


Tell me, if you can, what is more peaceful than cuddling a sleeping, sweet-smelling infant--particularly your own grandchild!  So brand new, so much a part of you, reflecting your own child even as the personality of the beautiful babe's own unique person emerges.  So tiny, so perfect, so priceless a treasure!

"God has no grandchildren," someone once stated--meaning that a child isn't a Christian just because his parents may be; the decision to receive and follow Christ must be individual choosing. Yet, any child whose parent knows God, enjoys a covenant blessing--to your children and to "children's children".   Biblical Timothy's father was never mentioned, but the faith of both his mother and grandmother was lauded as having been instilled in him.

My own life is richer because of the deposits of delight, love, and insight of my "four adorables".  My slumbering wonder and thrill of discovery is awakened through theirs.  But as we play and "walk by the way", I want to, more than anything, somehow help them to know and love God a little more through me.  I think children learn and thrive best with a balanced routine of all that helps them grow and that they need to know; but that ordered schedule should include flexible times with grandparents, fun times of even "unplanned" adventure!:)  Perhaps they will remember those most. 

Some of you may be raising your grandchildren--a daunting task you may feel has been thrust upon you--without benefit of sufficient energy, funds, or ability to cope with current challenges.  I'm praying for you today and sending you special love.  Take time to pray for them, to hear God's words of wisdom to you for them.  You are acting as a "nanny" for God; the children are His heritage as well as yours!  He will reward you; He is well pleased with you.  He doesn't expect perfection.  He will supply all you need and make up for perceived lack and deficiency.  He knows and understands your hurt, tiredness, frustration, exasperation as well as your love.   Give it all to Him.  Let Him massage the ache out of your soul. Take a big breath and expel worry; breathe in His peace.  Claim His promises, protection, and deliverance for them; they belong to you.

Whether you live nearby or far away, make it a priority to stay in touch with your grandchildren.  Your input makes an impact.  Letters, cards, small notes may be unanswered today but your message received and treasured tomorrow.  Learn to text if you have the courage:) or get on facebook if you can and haven't.  Most of all, mention your grandchildren daily to God, and mention Him to them.   Your investment will pay eternal dividends when your family circle in heaven is unbroken.  Never give up believing!  You rock, Grandma! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment